Clinics like the Naperville Animal Hospital have been trying to educate pet owners about the hazards of giving your pet medicine that wasn’t meant for them. Things that can be helpful for a human, can be deadly for an animal. That is why it is important to never give your pet any medicine that was not made specifically for him or her. Remember that though your pet may be similar to you in many respects, they are also different in just as many. It is not only important to not directly feed your animal people medicine, but also a good idea to keep it out of reach in the event your pet gets curious.
According to Pets.webmd.com’s Pet Care Tips, “Medicines made for humans can kill your pet, says Georgia veterinarian Jean Sonnenfield, DVM. As a matter of fact, in 2010 the ASPCA listed human drugs in the top 10 pet toxins. NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxen are the most common pet poisoning culprits, but antidepressants, decongestants, muscle relaxants, and acetaminophen are just a few of the human drugs that pose health risks to pets. Human drugs can cause kidney damage, seizures, and cardiac arrest in a dog or cat. If you suspect your pet has consumed your medication — or anything toxic — call the 24-hour ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.”
If you want some extra protection for your pet during emergencies like this, there are many clinics like the Naperville Animal Hospital that offer 24 hour emergency care for your pet.